- The Finger Lakes is the largest wine-producing region in New York State.
- Ontario County farmers grow a lot of cabbage for sauerkraut. The village of Phelps is known as the Sauerkraut Capitol of the World and celebrates its history with a popular festival every summer.
- It is estimated that nearly 70,000 grape pies, a Finger Lakes specialty, are sold annually in Naples.
- Milk is the official New York State beverage.
- Scientists at the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva are responsible for introducing five of the east’s most popular apple varieties: Cortland, Empire, Macoun, Jonagold.
Posts from April 2016
Friday, April 15, 2016 6:36 PM by Finger Lakes Visitors Connection
- Geneva is known as the "Lake Trout Capital of the World."
- Humphrey Bogart used to spend his summer vacations on Canandaigua Lake.
- Susan B. Anthony was tried for treason in the Ontario County Courthouse (Canandaigua). The women's rights leader was fined $100 for voting in the 1872 Presidential Election. She refused to pay the fine.
- There are ten public golf courses in Ontario County. Bristol Harbour is a Robert Trent Jones course, and Ravenwood (Victor) was selected as the 5th best new public golf course in America in 2004.
- Myron Clark (of Naples) became the first Republican governor of the State of New York. He was the father of Mary Clark Thompson, founder of Sonnenberg Gardens in Canandaigua.
- The Ring of Fire is an annual tradition of lakefront residents who light flares around the western Finger Lakes signifying the end of harvest season and the conclusion of the summer season on the lake. This is reputed to have started with a Native American tradition, but continues today on Canandaigua Lake, Honeoye Lake, and Keuka Lake.
- During its active time, the Sampson Naval Training Station (on Seneca Lake) was the country's second largest Naval Training Station -- processing 411,429 recruits between October 1942 and August 1945.
- There are a total of eleven lakes in the Finger Lakes Region.
- Seneca Lake is the deepest of the Finger Lakes (618 ft. depth).
- Honeoye Lake’s maximum depth is approximately 30 feet.
- Despite its Native
Working out in the gym is a great way to stay healthy, but the Finger Lakes has an even better one in Nature’s Health Club. The Finger Lakes are full of fun and healthy things to do that will get you
The food that gets to your table comes from somewhere, and in the Finger Lakes, much of the food you can buy at a restaurant or grocery store like Wegmans, comes from right here in the region. The
Friday, April 15, 2016 4:41 PM by Finger Lakes Visitors Connection
Winter is an exciting time in the Finger Lakes! Bristol Mountain Ski Resort comes alive and offers more than 30 trails for skiers and snowboarders as well as boasting the highest vertical between
Summer is a happening time in the Finger Lakes as people like to enjoy the warm weather and take part in all that the lakes have to offer. Power boating, sailing, fishing, kayaking and a variety of other water sports are readily available for visitors.
Friday, April 15, 2016 4:37 PM by Finger Lakes Visitors Connection
Artists have always been drawn to the Finger Lakes because they found inspiration in its scenic beauty, including waterfalls, the rolling hills and four distinct seasons. Performing, musical, visual, and literary artists have long found something distinctly special here. View the magnificent works at main street art galleries like Finger Lakes Gallery and Frame along with specialty shops like Artizanns and Wizard of Clay.