- The Finger Lakes is the largest wine-producing region in New York State.
- Ontario County farmers grow a lot of cabbage for sauerkraut. The village of Phelps is known as the Sauerkraut Capitol of the World and celebrates its history with a popular festival every summer.
- It is estimated that nearly 70,000 grape pies, a Finger Lakes specialty, are sold annually in Naples.
- Milk is the official New York State beverage.
- Scientists at the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva are responsible for introducing five of the east’s most popular apple varieties: Cortland, Empire, Macoun, Jonagold.
- The famous Northern Spy apple, one of New York's most prominent varieties, originated from a seedling brought from Connecticut in 1800 that was planted in East Bloomfield, New York.
- Traminette is a grape that was developed at the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station. Arbor Hill Grapery was the first to produce the Traminette wine.
Food stats and facts
Friday, April 15, 2016 6:37 PM by Finger Lakes Visitors Connection