We hope everyone is remembering to get that special someone in their life something nice for a romantic Valentine's Day! You can get your love some flowers... maybe some chocolate... a massage possibly. These are all great ideas, but they are even better in the Finger Lakes! After all, Canandaigua was just named one of the "Most Romantic Small Towns in North America" by SmarterTravel.com.
But, it's not just about Valentine's Day in the Finger Lakes. Having a romantic vacation is possible all year around! Our many wineries, cozy bed and breakfasts and luxurious hotels make the Finger Lakes your perfect destination for romance. The Finger Lakes is SO romantic that some people come here and just can't help but have the urge to propose!
Here are the Top Ten Romantic Proposal Ideas in Ontario County:
1. Pop the big question on a fall sky ride up to the top of Bristol Mountain, one of the highest points in Ontario County. It’s a tranquil 15-20 minute ride up with breathtaking views of the Bristol Hills and the valley below. Quite the romantic spot and if you pop the question on the chairlift, the Bristol Mountain team will be happy to meet you at the top of the mountain with a complimentary split of champagne to toast the occasion!
2. Take in historic downtown Canandaigua and propose during a horse-drawn carriage ride that begins at Granger Homestead and Carriage Museum. The ride will take the two of you on a fascinating trip back in time through the streets of Canandaigua and onto the grounds of the beautiful Sonnenberg Gardens. On your 45-minute journey, the driver shares historical tales and folklore and the wealth of distinct architecture in Canandaigua.
3. Proposing over a romantic dinner has always been a great way to ask the question. At Geneva on the Lake or Belhurst Castle, both in Geneva, you are sure to “wow” the special lady in your life. On the National Registry of Historic Places, Belhurst combines the romance of the past with the comforts of the present in an elegant, yet relaxed atmosphere. Rich woodwork, mosaic-tiled fireplaces and beamed cathedral ceilings set the stage for a truly romantic dining experience in Belhurst’s restaurant, Edgar’s, overlooking Seneca Lake.
Geneva On The Lake, also overlooks Canandaigua Lake and is on the National Registry for Historic Places. The Lancellotti Dining Room at Geneva On The Lake features marble columns, 17th century side chairs, wall tapestries, Chinese vases that glow in the warmth of candlelight and live music, a perfect place for a special dinner for two.
4. There are many amazing scenic spots in the Finger Lakes. What better way to spend a breathtaking moment in your life than at a breathtaking spot. Pop the big question at the County Road 12 Overlook in Naples while taking in a view of the entire Canandaigua Lake. Or, view all of Honeoye Lake and see the Rochester skyline at Harriet Hollister Park. Another great option is the Jumpoff in Ontario County Park where you will be able to take in a magnificent view of the Bristol Hills.
5. Get cozy for a weekend in the Finger Lakes and begin the rest of your life with your sweetheart at one of the numerous bed and breakfasts in Ontario County. Each one has its own unique style and special settings. Jacuzzi bathtubs, scenic balconies, welcoming fireplaces and historic homes are all part of the Ontario County bed and breakfast experience. Take a weekend, leave all your cares at home and enjoy the luxuries of a Finger Lakes bed and breakfast while you ask that special person to spend the rest of their life with you.
6. Every summer, the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra calls CMAC- Performing Arts Center its seasonal home. CMAC is a great place to catch a concert in the 15,000 seat venue with pavilion and lawn seating right across from Canandaigua Lake. Treat your future fiancée to a wonderful night at the orchestra under the stars with a bottle of wine. Some orchestra shows even end with fireworks! It will be an experience both of you will never forget.
7. The piers at many of the Finger Lakes are often great places to eat, take a walk, go fishing, enjoy a picnic AND to propose to the love of your life! The Geneva Long Pier at Seneca Lake in Geneva allows you to walk out quite a ways onto the lake and be surrounded by water in three directions; looking backwards you’ll see the historic city of Geneva. After you pop the big question, you can celebrate with some wine ice cream at Long Pier Ice Cream and Rentals.
The City Pier at Canandaigua Lake is a wonderful spot to catch some great views of the lake after a wonderful dinner at the New York Wine and Culinary Center or another Canandaigua restaurant. Wander the pier, grab some ice cream and take in the tranquility of Canandaigua Lake as you ask for your partner’s hand in marriage.
8. We are talking about the Finger Lakes so what better place to propose than actually on a lake! The Canandaigua Lady is a 19th century replica of a double-decker paddlewheel steamboat that cruises along Canandaigua Lake. The “Lady” is modeled after steamboats that operated on the Finger Lakes between 1820 and 1930. It’s a great boat for lunch and dinner cruises, fall foliage tours and romantic evenings, perfect for a wedding proposal.
9. Not many people can say they proposed to their future spouse in a Japanese Garden that has existed since 1906, but you can do just that at Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion State Historic Park. There are many romantic places for a proposal at Sonnenberg, including any of the 9 formal gardens on the property or the historic 40 room-room Queen Anne-style mansion. Spend the day wandering the grounds at Sonnenberg and after a wine tasting in the Finger Lakes Wine Center on the property, find the perfect spot to take that next step in your life.
10. Last, but certainly not least are the wineries. The Finger Lakes is known for its wineries and there are few situations more memorable than proposing with a glass of wine overlooking fields of beautiful grape vineyards. The Canandaigua Wine Trail offers a variety of different romantic settings from the hills of Naples to the Italian inspired winery, Casa Larga in Fairport, NY.