Here in the Finger Lakes, some shudder at the thought of winter, but that is nonsense! Those people are most certainly missing out. We think winter is a very special time for visitors and locals alike!
If you’re into the snow, the Finger Lakes is the place to be. Bristol Mountain Winter Resort offers up the highest vertical between the Adirondacks and the Rockies, 1200 feet, or for you Canadians, 366 meters! They’ve also got 2 high speed quad lifts to keep those lines from backing up, more than 30 trails, nighttime skiing and 2 terrain parks. And if you’re single they can take care of that, too. They even offer speed ski dating!
If downhill isn’t your thing, there are also places to get out and enjoy some cross country skiing, snowshoeing and winter hiking. Bristol Harbour Resort turns their Robert Trent Jones-designed golf course into a cross country, winter wonderland. You can also rent skis at Bristol Harbour. Ganondagan, the only official Native American site in New York State, is a great place to try out some snowshoeing or some winter hiking, as is Cumming Nature Center and Harriet Hollister Spencer Park.
If you’ve read this far and are still thinking, “I HATE THE COLD! This all sounds terrible!” Well, then stay inside and enjoy the Finger Lakes! We’ve got all sorts of winter-themed packages offered by our bed and breakfasts and hotels. Sit by the cozy fire and enjoy some Finger Lakes wine, or get some winter shopping done at Eastview Mall. These activities and much more are all a part of our winter getaway packages. And, if you are looking to spend Christmas in the Finger Lakes, many hotels and bed and breakfasts are offering “Christmas On Us!” If you stay two nights, you’ll get a third night free, as long as one of the nights falls on Christmas. Click here for participating properties.
Other fun, indoor winter activities in the Finger Lakes:
- Take a cooking class at New York Wine & Culinary Center
- Enjoy an elegant, candlelit dinner at Geneva On The Lake
- Try a wine wrap treatment at Park West Hair Design & Spa
- Enjoy exquisite, local cuisine at Warfield’s Restaurant
- Visit Belhurst Estate Winery and try one of their many award-winning wines
- Try a local microbrew at Naked Dove Brewing Company
- Check out the famous Bristoleaf® pottery at Wizard of Clay
- Relax and take in a play, movie, or concert at Smith Opera House
- Taste some Finger Lakes chocolate at Sweet Expressions
- Pick up a beautiful sweater at The Country Ewe
So much to explore, but the fun doesn’t stop there. We also have quite a few winter events like Ganondagan Native American Winter Games, the nICE Festival, and the Ice Wine Festival at Casa Larga Vineyards. Click here to see all our winter events.
Quite honestly, this is just a small sampling of everything there is to enjoy during the winter season in the Finger Lakes and New York State. For more, visit I LOVE NY’s winter site by clicking here.