Three Sisters Harvest Vegetable soup
Do yourself a favor, and cook up something aMAIZEing!
Recipe by the Iroquois White Corn Project located at Ganondagan State Historic Site
- 2 c. Hulled White Corn, cooked/prepared ahead
- 15 oz. can kidney or pinto beans
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- 2, 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 c. winter squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 c. carrots, diced
- 1 c. parsnips, cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare ahead Iroquois Hulled White Corn. See directions.
- Warm oil in a large soup pot on medium heat.
- Add onions, celery and garlic. Sauté 10 minutes on low heat.
- Add basil and cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add squash, carrots, parsnips, and tomatoes. Simmer until tender.
- Add beans and corn, simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
Ladle up a hearty and healthy bowl, and enjoy!