History & Location
The Finger Lakes Visitors Connection office is located at:
19 Susan B. Anthony Lane,
Canandaigua, NY 14424
It is just behind the Ontario County Courthouse on the south side of Gorham Street - first brick house on the right as you enter off of Main Street Canandaigua.
On May 30, 2003, Finger Lakes Visitors Connection purchased the building at 19 Susan B. Anthony Lane (formerly 25 Gorham Street). The building has a long and varied history, since its completion in 1884!
The House At 19 Susan B. Anthony Lane
House history by Marjory Perez
The House at 19 Susan B. Anthony Lane (formerly 25 Gorham Street) in the village of Canandaigua, New York, was built in 1884 by Willet M. and Anna (Godfrey) Spangle. Mr. Spangle, a prominent and enterprising clothing merchant, and his wife had purchased a small lot at the corner of Gorham and Susan B. Anthony Lane (formerly Court Street) from the heirs of James McEnnally.
The property had once been part of the large holdings of Nathaniel Gorham. The Spangles chose the popular Queen Anne style of architecture for their two-story brick home. Queen Anne buildings, which became an architectural fashion in the 1880s and 1890s, are distinctive for asymmetrical construction, two-story bays, large panes of window glass surrounded by smaller panes of colored glass, steeply pitched hipped roofs using shingles to create unique designs, and wrap around porches.
Features of note are the intricately carved fireplace with ceramic tiles, the well-preserved woodwork, brass hardware and arched windows, and the handcrafted newel post at the base of the gently curved stairway. The House is typical of the more restrained versions of Queen Anne found in the villages and cities of the northeast. The House at 19 Susan B. Anthony Lane has only had six owners in its history.
The Spangle family lived in this home until 1936. Upon the death of Willet Spangle, the home was sold at public auction to Spencer Sutherland, who in turn sold it in 1947 to Guy and Minnie Baldwin. Lucile Lake, daughter of Guy and Minnie Baldwin, who inherited the property in 1957, sold the house to a law firm in 1991. The downstairs became law offices, and the upstairs was a residence. On May 30, 2003 the tourism promotion agency, Finger Lakes Visitors Connection, became the sixth owner of the house at 19 Susan B. Anthony Lane.